Monday 4 February 2019

Welcome to Belize!


I’ve often heard people lament about having a terrible/bad/shitty year. I’ve always thought, “Really?” and wondered how a whole year could be that bad. Well, now I know. Those who know me already know the details . . . it was a tough and emotional 2018 and start to 2019. 

I’m thankful that Andrew and I now have the opportunity for a short break just to relax and chill out for a while. When we decided a couple weeks ago to go on a dive trip, I started looking at places and my head was still so full that I simply couldn’t make a decision. I emailed Michelle at Faces of the Sea (who we've used a few times now and who I highly recommend!) and, after a few emails back and forth, we quickly had flights and a couple weeks booked at Blackbird Caye – a small resort on a small island off the coast of Belize. 

"Man should not live where bougainvillaea does not grow." - K.S. McKinlay 
We flew to Calgary and then straight to Belize City where we overnighted. In the morning we wandered for a couple hours along the waterfront and some of the side streets. I took a few photos around a cathedral that had a beautiful stained glass window and we found Martha’s Café, a nice vegan/vegetarian restaurant where we had a delicious lunch and sat and read our books while the ocean breeze moved through the wide open windows and doors.

Stained glass at the cathedral
At the marina in Belize City
An old government house -- the wraparound verandas are very common.
Mid-afternoon, we and six others took an hour-long boat ride out to the island. As it turned out, there’s only the eight of us here at the resort until Wednesday when four more people are due to arrive. It’s nice to have such a quiet, relaxing place! 

No comments:

Post a Comment