Tuesday 25 February 2020

More Flying at Tapalpa


We really like both the flying site and the town of Tapalpa. So we made a big loop in our travels and returned here for our last flights of the trip. I did some kiting and was feeling better about my leg so it was a very positive start. 


Andrew approaching the LZ
This time it was big blue eyes. Doesn't he look like he's starving?!? Not! :-) 
After our first flights, Pedro picked us up. As we sat at launch eating a late lunch, a number of other pilots arrived, launched and were definitely finding some good thermals! A couple of them got quite high and either went cross country or top landed. Andrew decided to do a second flight. I knew he was also hoping to be able to try a top landing. (The top landing here is done in a large open area by the main road where you turn off to get to the launch area, not the actual launch site.) 


There wasn't a huge amount of lift off launch but he headed way out front to where some other pilots had caught a thermal and I was happy to watch his determination as he worked it and got back up, high above launch.

Photo taken from below the shelter at launch.
Unfortunately, as he came in to land he got bounced around a bit, fell forward upon landing and hurt his thumb. Not broken but quite swollen and sore the next few days.

The next day when we arrived at launch there were a couple other pilots and tandems waiting to fly. One pilot launched and things looked good. I got my gear out and started getting ready, as did one of the tandem pilots. I was in my harness and just about to spread out my wing when the second tandem pilot came and plopped his wing down and immediately spread it out right beside me (i.e. meaning I now had to move over to make room to spread out my wing). I realize the tandems are on home turf and there to make money but it seemed rather rude. Anyway, I decided to wait for the two tandems to launch first. Just about this time, the wind was starting to change direction and also get a bit stronger. Because the wind was quite cross, it took them forever to launch and neither of them (even as very experience tandem pilots) made it look easy. I was not comfortable with how cross it was, or the wind speed, so decided to pack up and not fly. In hindsight it was stupid! I should have either gone first before other pilots or quickly gotten set up right after the first guy went. Oh well!

I had a good flight the next day and even found a nice thermal right out front that the two pilots who launched before me quickly came and joined me in.

The next three photos are screenshots from video. I like them for their perspective of launching and checking wing once in the air.

Just about to bring the wing up.
Wing looks good, stable in the air, now time to "turn and burn."
Checking wing again right after launch; all looks good.
Me at the top of the stack. I point this out, not to brag but because of it's rarity!  :-) 
Heading to the LZ

One of the last turns to set up for landing.
One day after flying, we went back to the Tapalpa Country Club for lunch. Again, great views! 





A couple of our favourite restaurants in Tapalpa:
Dark chocolate gelato at Madre Tierra
Best pizza we had in Mexico at El Jardin de Filippo

No comments:

Post a Comment