I've carried my big camera on both of my West Coast Trail hikes now, hoping to see lots of whales, sea lions, eagles and other birds . . . heck, I'd even be happy with a bear, as long as it was from a distance. But the wildlife I saw the most of were small, slow-moving slugs, which the West Coast Trail is also known for. The slug is also the WCT mascot, appearing on numerous T-shirts, patches, stickers and other promotional items.
I saw the most slugs on the day from Walbran to Camper, which I guess makes sense since it was the wettest part of the trail I encountered.
I was surprised to see what I thought were so many colours and varieties. But actually, all but one of these are Pacific banana slugs, with one Western dusky slug thrown in for good measure. (As per iNaturalist.)
![]() |
| Western Dusky Slug |








No comments:
Post a Comment