Saturday 25 August 2018

Enchanted Forest and Cocoa Beach - Florida

After a second day of dripping sweat while barely moving, I've come to the conclusion that Florida in the summer time is probably not for me! But I'm still enjoying my time here in the great outdoors. 

I started the day at the Enchanted Forest Sanctuary. Despite it's hokey name, it was not hokey at all and is one of many protected areas in the region. A series of forested trails with widely diverse vegetation provided lots of shade (but didn't stop the dripping sweat) and, while I heard lots of birds and searched and searched for them, I saw not a one. 

However, on a short section of the trail that didn't have shade, I came upon this tortoise enjoying the sun, sand and grass. 


American Beautyberry
I'm amazed by the many bridges that span the rivers between the mainland and other pieces of land that separate it from the ocean. This particular one had beautiful bridge supports with dolphins and manatees decorating them. 

Beautifully decorated bridge supports
My next stop was the famous Cocoa Beach Pier and I enjoyed a nice long walk on the beach. Although still hot and humid, the ocean breeze and walking with my feet in the water most of the time kept the temperature manageable. 



I'm staying at the Casa Coquina B&B in Titusville for these few days before the conference in Orlando. Built in 1927, it's retained a lot of charm and is filled with beautiful old antique furniture. Outside areas include a lovely (if a bit overgrown) garden area and a roof top patio with a view of the water. However, as another guest put it, "It's a bit quirky."  (I think she might have been referring to the horse and armoured rider in the dining room!) 




Beautiful mural on the garden fence

No comments:

Post a Comment