Friday 24 August 2018

Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge - Florida


Hot, humid (dripping sweat), birds, manatee (and their babies), and rain showers. This sums up my first day in Florida. The reason for this trip is a conference in Orlando next week but I took a few extra days to wander on my own.
Not the greatest photo in terms of being completely in focus, but I liked it anyway.
First stop was the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge visitor centre to get a map and trail recommendations. After one short hike (and getting a better taste of the heat and humidity!) I decided the suggestion of a "drive" wasn't a bad one. The Black Point Wildlife drive was well worth it as I saw several birds and traffic was light enough that I often just stopped in the middle of the road to get out and take photos. And there were other places along the drive to stop and do a couple more short hikes. 

I didn't see any alligators but I always find signs like this humorous. 
I found him! Finally! Could hear him in the bushes but took me forever to spot him.
The token lizard shot . . . since Andrew isn't with me on this trip.
Fairy wings
Staking out the bird watching blind
Wildflowers
Mostly, all that could be seen of the manatees was their backs, tails and their noses when they came up for a breath of air. 
A protective fin
A rare glimpse of a face
Walking on the beach
The rain is coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment