Monday 27 August 2018

"Newsies" and the American Police Hall of Fame and Museum

I'd have to say the highlight of my trip so far was seeing "Newsies" at the Titusville Playhouse. It's a musical based on the 1992 Disney movie of the same name. The actors, the singing and dancing, were fabulous! Very likely one of the best live plays I've ever been to. 

Near the theatre was this interesting and very well done mural. I have no idea what building it was on.

While I'm not usually into museums, I thought I'd check out the American Police Hall of Fame and Museum. I wasn't sure what to expect but it was actually very well done! In addition to the museum area, there's a gun range, a pro shop, and training classrooms which I'm sure help to keep the museum viable. 

In the middle of the building was a chapel and a large memorial area with names of officers killed in the line of duty engraved on the walls. Around the outside of the memorial was the display area. 

Outside was a canine memorial. 

There were the usual car and motorcycle displays but, unusually, this one included the police car prop that was used in the original Blade Runner movie. 


There weren't as many guns on display as I thought there would be. There was a good mix of modern policing, historical equipment, information on notorious gangsters (Al Capone et al), more current events such as 9-11, crime scene techniques, and several interactive areas for kids of all ages.






I wonder if I have a relative who escaped from from the New York County Jail?? Thomas Ballard was wanted for counterfeiting. He lived in Wisconsin and was "brother of the well known John and William Ballard." $250 reward money would have been a lot in 1871. Humorous!

At the entrance to the chapel, there were banners on either side of the door.  One was "A Policeman's Prayer" and the other was "A Policewoman's Prayer." The distinction and tone of the two different prayers annoyed me. Perhaps it's because I was very fortunate in my career not to have faced a whole lot of opposition, criticism or doubt from my male colleagues. But it seems to me that praying for respect from my peers or for their understanding that I'm not there to take away their "man's" job rather than praying for courage, strength and dedication to keep the community safe . . . well, it just seems wrong. And, quite frankly, insulting. I wonder what other people, especially police women, think about this? 





No comments:

Post a Comment